Monday 7 January 2013

Week One: Lemon Cream Pavlova

Just when I was expecting to have a savory dish to test out, I end up with a dessert. No matter, making pavlova from scratch is something that sends shivers down a lot of spines (the eggs must be ROOM TEMPERATURE! NO EGG YOLKS...EVER!) so I was ready for the challenge.
For a "Lemon" dish, it sure looks pale...    



Whilst in instruction form it seemed fairly simplistic, a couple of egg whites and some sugar, I knew there was something else lurking behind the scenes here, technique. I assume that by the time you had your perfect pav back in the day, one didn't have time to make a proper filling and such you needed to quickly whack something together for the middle of the thing. I was quite fond of this part of the recipe! 

The instructions were a little on the blasé side    


The crucial part, ensuring no yolk went in the egg mix.    





Time to start 8 minutes of beating! Ha!     



The instructions said I should be beating this thing for 8 minutes but that felt a little extreme. I wasn't sure what I'd end up with if I was beating away for 8 minutes (if cream turns to butter with overbeating, egg whites might just make a chicken or something) so after two I considered it done. 

Imagine trying to pipe this..pfft...



Right, time to get this in the oven. Put it on the baking paper and ignored the instructions regarding the piping bag. One, I was already covered in pavolva goo and didn't see the need to paint more of the kitchen with the stuff and two, thats another thing to clean up. And who is to say I'll be any better forming a circle with a piping bag compared to just using the spatula? Well, maybe one of my teachers could have commented on my circle abilities but I think that either way they are fairly slim.


Doesn't this look nice and round? I even made the little hole in the middle for the filling! 


Ok, so I've dodged the curse of the pavlova bullet so far and I'm ready to fill it. If I'm following the recipe (and have I really done that so far?) I'd just be whacking in some lemon spread from the fridge for this part of the recipe. Well, forget that. Who wants to waste the egg yolks? And I had quite a few spare after a few yolk in the egg white mishaps and some extra from various other dishes we've cooked in the kitchen.

The filling:

I used a recipe from Stephanie Alexander for the lemon curd:


Ingredients
         4 egg yolks
         2/3 cup castor sugar
         60g unsalted butter
         2 tsp grated lemon zest
         100ml lemon juice
Method
Whisk egg yolks and sugar until well combined but not frothy.
Tip into a heavy-based non-reactive saucepan and add butter, zest and juice.
Stirring constantly, bring to simmering point over a medium-high heat (about five minutes).
As soon as bubbles appear, remove from heat, still stirring. Allow to cool.

Zesting the lemons took forever!




Eggs and sugar, yummmm


The arms were getting a work out!    

Just for the record, two teaspoons of lemon zest might not seem like much but I was zesting for a good 10 minutes and it was about 4 lemons worth of effort to get that zest. 


Looking like lemon curd ready to go, didn't take long to boil this up and set it aside to cool down. 

Putting it all together:

So its time to put all the elements together. 



I cut the pav into pieces...



Put the lemon curd in the middle




Added raspberries for the sake of it    



Whipped cream on top!


I think the first recipe of the year was a success. I'm still hoping for something unattractive like chicken terrine for next weeks dish though. Too many desserts like this and I'll be in trouble. 
..
 

No comments: