Saturday 12 January 2013

Week Two: Savory Puffs


Ok so I got my wish, it’s a savory dish. But is it a main meal ? Nah uh.




Anyways, this was a fairly simple looking dish. And as a bonus I had everything I needed for this one on hand.

So we started by making the choux pastry. Another element of cooking that invokes fear in the heart of chefs. Apparently. I vaguely recall masterchef episodes where choux pastry was giving contestants a bit of a hard time.


Chicken stock and butter into the saucepan. So far so good.







Whoa that curry powder is strong, the whole house smells of it!


So I added the flour into the boiling stock mix and what do you know, within seconds I had this clump of dough. Talk about speedy!


Next step was to let it cool for a while before adding the eggs. I guess this makes sense because if you’re adding eggs whilst its hot you’d end up with scrambled eggs and dough. Yuck. I really don’t see much point in adding the eggs beyond making a large mess with the beater, but all the recipes say this is to add “sheen” to your puffs. Well whatever, if you’re putting stuff on top anyways, do you really need sheen? But I’m sticking to the recipe this time.





Popped them onto the baking tray. I’m adjusting my pleas from last week, now I want something savory, and something that isn’t damn sticky to work with. This was stickier than the pavlova!


So whilst these were in the oven (hopefully) turning into something resembling a puff, I got to work on the filling.





Chopping spring onions. An easy task!


Chopping bbq chicken, also fairly quick!


 Chopping parsley, now this was one I could do without. Chopping herbs annoys me, although maybe if I had a sharper knife the job wouldn’t be as difficult as it was for me.



Ready to mix. Looks good, with all that mayo and sour cream, yum!





Mixed and ready to fill the puffs. As suspected, its tasty.


Ok, so my puffs have come out of the oven, a little smaller than expected (should have made the teaspoonfulls more like soup spoon fulls as they just didn’t puff like I was imagining) but that’s ok I can work with this.


Except I do have a large bowl of filling to use up.





So I cut them in half and was overly generous with the filling.

Overall it was a very quick recipe to do, but I have to say that the curry power is very overpowering. And I didn’t even add it to the filling like I was meant to! If you made these for a gathering these days I don’t know how well they would go down…











No comments: